B-2 Visa – Temporary Visitors


You may be eligible for a B-2 visa if you will be participating in the following, including, but not limited to:

  • Tourism: This could be sightseeing, visiting famous landmarks, exploring cities, or simply enjoying the country’s culture and atmosphere.
  • Visiting family or friends: Many people use a B-2 visa to visit their loved ones living in the U.S.
  • Medical treatment: If someone requires medical treatment or a procedure that is available in the U.S., they might apply for a B-2 visa.
  • Social events: Attending events like marriages, festivals, concerts, cooking classes, conventions, and other social gatherings can be another reason for using a B-2 visa.
  • Participation in events or contests: If the event does not involve professional participation (like amateur tournaments or contests), a B-2 visa could be suitable.
  • Short courses of study: If the course duration is less than 18 hours per week, this falls under B-2 visa regulations.

You cannot travel under this visa to engage any of the following:

  • Study.
  • Long-term employment by a U.S. firm.
  • Paid performances, or any professional performance before a paying audience.
  • Arrival as a crew member on a ship or aircraft.
  • Work as foreign press, in radio, film, print journalism, or other information media
  • Permanent residence in the United States.

Eligibility Criteria:

You must demonstrate the following in order to be eligible for a B-2 visa:

  • The purpose of your trip is to enter the United States for leisure of a legitimate nature.
  • You plan to remain for a specific limited period of time.
  • You have sufficient funds to cover the expenses of the trip and your stay in the United States.
  • You have a residence outside the United States that you have no intention of abandoning, as well as other binding ties that will ensure your return abroad at the end of the visit.
  • You are otherwise admissible to the United States.

Period of Stay/Extension of Stay:

Initial Period of Stay: 1 to 6 months; 6 months is the maximum

Extension of Stay: Up to 6 months; maximum total amount of time permitted in B-1 status on any one trip is generally one (1) year.

At the port of entry, an immigration official must authorize your admission to the United States, and, if you are eligible for admission, you may be admitted initially for the period necessary to carry out your pleasure activities.

To Top